The sunrise is Bagan feels like a scene out of a movie. It’s a surreal phenomenon.
To catch the sunrise, you’ll need to get up early. Like 5 am early. Hop on your e-bike (you can rent them anywhere in town, but your hostel or hotel will definitely have them outside). And, drive 20 minutes to a temple.
The most famous view of a sunrise in Bagan can be found at Shwesandaw Pagoda. It gets crowded, so make sure to go early and secure a spot. Other temples also offer great views of the sunrise, just ask someone at the place you are staying for recommendations.
Shortly after the sun breaks the horizon, the hot air balloons will begin to dot the sky.
Before you know it, the sunrise is over and it’s time to grab some coffee and breakfast.
Tips for seeing the sunrise in Bagan:
- Leave early. I was out the door by 5:15. It could take a bit to get to the temple, and you want a good spot, so it’s better to be early than late.
- Figure out which temple you want to go to the night before. There are a few popular locations, and a few hidden gems. Do a bit of research before you head out to save some time in the morning.
- Wear warm clothing. In the early morning, it’s pretty chilly outside. Make sure to bring a sweater or jacket.
- Wear shoes that are easy to take off and put on. You need to take your shoes and socks off at the temples.
- Pictures are great, but enjoy the moment too.